150 Most Exciting Summer Activities For Adults in 2023
This post contains affiliate links and I may receive a small commission (at no extra cost to you) if you sign up or purchase products or services mentioned. Read the full disclosure here.
Last Updated on May 23, 2023
Ahhh…SUMMER TIME! Good vibes, warm air, and so many fun activities! If you’re stumped for fun ideas this summer, you’ll love this list of 150 exciting summer activities for adults.
There’s always so many resources out there for family-friendly or kid-friendly activities…but hey, adults deserve some good memorable summer fun too!
These ideas have everything you’re looking for: from indoor activities, outdoor activities when you’re bored, free and cheap summer activities for adults, activities for hot summer days, ideas that are perfect for your summer bucket list, and even crazy things to do with friends! You won’t miss out on a single thing with that many ideas to choose from.
So if you’re ready to kick back a little, bask in those long summer days, and enjoy some fun in the sun, I’ve got you covered!
List of 150 BEST Summer Activities for Adults in 2023
Are you ready to create the best summer memories ever?! Grab your summer bucket list, because you’re gonna wanna jot down these ideas to keep you busy all season long!
Don’t lose these summer activities for adults! Pin them for later!
Outdoor Summer Activities for Adults to Do When Bored
- Take a nearby road trip just to eat amazing food.
- Go wine tasting.
- Take a day trip to a city you’ve never been to before.
- Buy a slip n’ slide (this one is 31 feet!) or an inflatable pool (this inflatable pool is one of the best rated).
- Take a beach or lake trip (this beach mat has been a game changer for me at the beach!).
- Go on a picnic in the park.
- Plant some cute plants.
- Stargaze while sipping yummy drinks
- Go to the drive-in movies.
- Read a book by the pool (list of must-read self help books in your 20s!).
- Ride in a hot air balloon.
- Go to a waterpark.
- Spend a full day in nature.
- Go mini golfing.
- Pitch a tent (here’s a great 4-person Coleman tent) in your backyard or balcony and camp.
- Go to a theme park.
- Go driving without a destination.
- Drive to a state you’ve never been to before.
- Go skinny dipping.
- Relax in a hammock (here’s the best rated hammock).
- Jump into water off of a rope swing.
- Attend an outdoor concert or music festival.
- Sleep under the stars in the bed of a truck.
- Go ziplining.
- Find a hidden gem in your city.
- Make a new combination of smores (why not Reese’s instead of Hershey’s?!).
RELATED: 40 Motivating Summer Goals You’ll Want to Set in 2023
Indoor Summer Activities for Adults
- Make alcoholic popsicles.
- Make the ultimate ice cream sundae.
- Do some journaling.
If you never seem to know what to journal about, you should give guided journals a try! I offer a couple printable journals with prompts and activities conveniently bundled just for you. Go check them out below!
- Eat a lobster roll.
- Pursue a new hobby (list of 100 fun hobbies to try in your 20s!).
- Book an airbnb for a weekend getaway.
- Buy a new board game (did you know they have a Monopoly for Millennials?!).
- Go to the library.
- Go bowling.
- Revamp your morning routine.
- Take a dance class (or any type of class!).
- Bake a 4th of July cake.
- Go to brunch and get day-drunk off mimosas.
- Re-decorate a room in your house.
- Try a 30 day mental health challenge.
Free or Cheap Summer Activities for Adults
- Gather everything you need for a full self care day.
- Go to a farmer’s market.
- Go hiking.
- Find free or cheap festivals in your area.
- Go for a sunset walk.
- Sit outside and watch the sunrise.
- Buy some sidewalk chalk and play with it.
- Go to a state or national park.
- Find strawberry or other fruit fields and go berry picking.
- Attend a local parade.
- Go fishing.
- Declutter your home or a room in your house.
- Find a new series on Netflix or Hulu to binge.
- Have a game night.
- Have a physical, mental, and spiritual glow up.
- Try out a new recipe.
- Learn a new skill.
- Write a book.
- Blow bubbles.
- Have a garage sale (or go visit one!)
- Build a fort.
- Visit a zoo or museum.
- Find a free workout class in your area.
- Have a photoshoot around your town.
- Take a scenic bike ride.
- Start a blog. (The startup costs aren’t bad! Here’s my guide to starting your own blog).
Activities for Hot Summer Days
Make sure you don’t forget about these summer activities! Pin ‘em for later!
- Go swimming at the local pool.
- Invite friends over for a cookout.
- Try a new watersport.
- Have a water balloon fight (these water balloons are self-sealing).
- Go on a scenic drive while blasting the AC.
- Have a bonfire at night.
- Do something crafty.
- Have breakfast outside.
- Tan/sunbathe outside your house.
- Find a local food truck.
- Host a make-your-own-sundae bar.
- Tie-dye your clothes (this tie dye kit has all the colors you could want!).
- Read under a tree in the shade.
- Play some lawn games, like giant jenga.
- Go people watching at the mall, beach, or other public place.
- Play frisbee!
- Eat refreshing summer foods outside, like salad, fruit, smoothies, or ice cream.
- Be a local tourist and check out all the must-see spots in your area.
- Go to an ice skating or roller skating rink.
- Go see fireworks for 4th of July.
- Make a photo collage or vision board.
- Do a DIY project (like make friendship bracelets, knit, or paint a picture!)
- Plan your next trip.
- Catch up with old friends.
- Join a book club.
- Go for a neighborhood walk and take in the sights.
- Lay outside and cloud-watch.
- Do an escape room with friends or family.
- Do something out-of-the-box, like go to an axe throwing bar.
- Start an herb garden.
- Pick a bouquet of wildflowers.
- Buy a kite and fly it!
- Find a waterfall and stand under it.
Summer Bucket List Ideas for Adults
- Host a backyard BBQ.
- Volunteer for a cause you’ve always cared about.
- Try an outdoor yoga or fitness class.
- Try nature journaling.
- Pull an all-nighter movie marathon.
- Take your own photography tour through your town or city.
- Have a projector movie night under the stars.
- Learn to cook a summer dish (grilled seafood, a fancy salad, gourmet burgers, etc.!)
- Attend a sports game for a sport you’ve never watched before.
- Write a song.
- Choreograph a little dance number.
- Write a short story.
- Have an all-day at-home spa day for yourself
- Go on a boat ride.
- Go parasailing.
- Make the ultimate all-out charcuterie board.
- Go on a ghost tour.
- Create your own DIY waterpark in your backyard complete with water slides, inflatable pools, and water games!
- Go to a unique or quirky museum.
- Sign up for a color run.
- Go glamping (glamorous camping!)
- Take a class on wilderness skills.
- Go kayaking.
- Go snorkeling or scuba diving.
- Go sand dune surfing.
Crazy Things To Do With Friends This Summer
- Take a pole dancing class.
- Take an aerial silks class.
- Go bungee jumping.
- Have a girls trip to a natural hot spring.
- Have an elaborate sandcastle building competition.
- Have a water gun fight.
- Go cliff jumping. (Be safe though!)
- Learn a language together (pick an unusual one only you and your friend would know, like Icelandic!)
- Pick a random destination on a map and take a spontaneous road trip there.
- Participate in a mud run.
- Go swimming in the middle of the night.
- Organize a flash mob.
- Have a pie eating contest with a group of friends.
- Go skydiving.
- Host a glow-in-the-dark party complete with glow sticks and UV lights.
- Go crash a wedding.
- Put on a talent show amongst you and your friends.
- Try breaking a world record.
- Ride a mechanical bull.
- Do a bar or pub crawl.
- Start a YouTube channel with friends.
- Have a contest for who can swim the most laps.
- Go on an adventurous backpacking trip.
- Go to a fancy city like New York, LA, or Chicago and go on a shopping spree.
- Go on a wellness retreat.
What can adults do in summer?
When deciding what to do this summer, don’t hold back on being ambitious! Remember all the times you’ve said “I should totally do this this summer!” Think back to all the grand dreams you haven’t done yet, and make it a point to take more action this summer. (For the sake of fun and memories, of course!)
And it doesn’t even have to be adult-specific. Do you have any fun childhood memories of awesome summers? Revisit those! The great part about being an adult is you can mix old activities with new.
My biggest piece of advice is to be consistent in your summer activities, too. All too often we create these big bucket lists only to forget about them by the time mid-July rolls around! Don’t let that happen to you. Keep your summer activities list somewhere you can refer to it often and don’t neglect regular time for enjoyment!
FREE Printable Summer Bucket List Templates
Want these summer activities for adults conveniently listed for you on a cute printable sheet? I got you!
Want to fill out your own printable PDF summer bucket list? I also got you!
Below you can choose to print either the list of summer activities included in this post, or fill out your very own.
Have a blast this summer!
More Summer Fun You’ll Love
40 Motivating Summer Goals You’ll Want to Set in 2023
The Perfect (and Do-able!) Self Love Bucket List
22 Rewarding Self Care Things To Do When Bored
Ultimate List of Self Care Hobbies: 32 Ideas You’ve Gotta Try
Great ideas – especially after last summer!
For sure! Trying to build that summer excitement back now that we can all do more!
Love this post! Wine tasting and new plants are all I need, lol! Thanks for all the great ideas.
Haha sounds like a great plan to me!
I love the idea of just driving to see where you end up. And that lobster roll sounds amazing!!
Yes! Especially if you live in an area with multiple freeways in different directions. Lobster rolls are the best!