Last Updated on December 5, 2023
Hold tight – another year’s wrapping up! Wondering about how you really did? These end of the year journal prompts spill the tea on your transformation!
Reflect on highs, lows, and everything in between. Figure out what worked, what didn’t, and where you want to level up in 2024.
If this year threw you curveballs, no sweat! Not every year will be your best, and that’s okay. This is just how our journeys go! Follow that mindset and you will make the progress you wish to see in due time.
Quick Tips to Get Started
- Make the mood on point – set the mood so that your journaling can be most effective for you. This means scheduling quiet time, cozying up into your favorite corner of the house, and settling into that introspective mindset.
- Mix and match prompts – feel free to jump around the journal prompts in this post. Ask yourself what you need most as you enter the next year of your life. Choose the prompts that best support your intentions for the year ahead.
- Start small – no need to overwhelm yourself with 3-page long journal entries! While this list includes 100 end of the year reflection questions, you do not need to do them all. Brief and to-the-point responses are also totally fair!
100 personal prompts for end of year reflection
Don’t simply let the year pass you by! Use these journal prompts to reflect and assess your year on a deeper level. You’ll thank yourself for the insights you gain. Use them as fuel for stepping into the new year with confidence and stronger self-awareness!
Don’t forget about these end of the year reflection questions! Pin ’em to come back!
Your Personal Growth
- Overall, how did you grow this year?
- Describe what you learned from your hardest challenge of the year.
- What did you learn from your biggest win of the year?
- What was your favorite thing you learned?
- What’s the thing you’re most grateful for?
- What did you waste your time on the most?
- Did you feel spiritually connected to your beliefs? (spiritual journal prompts to help you here!)
- What was your biggest regret?
- Discuss a time you stood up for yourself.
- Did you notice any particular turning points in your personal development? When and what?
- How did you grow emotionally this year?
- How did you grow spiritually this year?
- How did you grow socially this year? (Boundaries, putting yourself out there, etc.)
- Did you read any good motivating personal development books?
- In what ways did your life change the most this year?
- If you could change anything about the past year, what would it be?
- What major life lesson(s) did you learn?
- How much “alone time” did you spend with yourself?
- When was a time where you stepped out of your comfort zone?
- Were there any opportunities you felt you missed out on?
- Have your thoughts, opinions, or interests in anything changed?
- What is something you “warmed up to” that you didn’t think you would?
- What is one thing you could have done (within your control) to make the year better?
- If you could travel back in time to the beginning of the year, what advice would you give yourself?
- What opportunity are you happy you didn’t say “no” to?
- What did you discover that you need?
- Is there anything you can let go of that didn’t serve you?
- What will you remember most about this year?
- What was the thing you were most proud of?
- What’s something outside of your control that you really struggled with?
- What was the hardest thing for you to accept?
- Are you happy with the person you’ve grown into over the last year?
- In what ways did you improve the most from the previous year vs. this year?
- Do you feel like you lived your life to the fullest?
- Did you grow more ambitious this year? (I sure hope you did! 😉)
- What was the #1 most insightful thing you learned about yourself or your personality?
Wellness & Self Care
- How did your overall mental health go?
- Was your mental health more stable this year than last year?
- Did you go to therapy? In what ways did it help you most?
- How was your physical health and wellness?
- On average, how was your sleep? Often have trouble sleeping?
- Which month did you feel the best? Why?
- Which month did you feel the worst? Why?
- Did you improve your self care and coping habits? How?
- How did you practice self care?
- Which changes in your life did you adapt best to?
- Which changes in your life did you adapt the worst to?
- Did you feel like your needs were met?
- In what ways, no matter how small, did you accomplish self love?
Work Life & Education
- Did you achieve anything in your career?
- Are you satisfied with where your career is headed?
- Did you get a promotion/raise or complete a degree? Any feelings about it?
- In what ways have you educated yourself this year?
- Do you feel like you’re on the right track with your education/career?
- Did you start or take on a new business, side hustle, or career path?
Get a goal setting strategy that actually works!
Science says 92% of people don’t achieve their goals. After using this goal planner, it’ll be crystal clear why. (And how you can be the 8% who does!)
My Printable Goal Planner gives you the best strategy to brainstorm, plan, AND effectively achieve the right goals for your life!
- What was the biggest high and the biggest low of the year?
- In what ways were you most overwhelmed this year?
- Did you struggle with self doubt? In which areas?
- Which season did you struggle in the most?
- Was social media a source of stress for you this year? Or did you not pay it much attention?
- What was your number one source of stress?
- What was your biggest disappointment?
- Did you engage in any unhealthy thought patterns?
- What did you want to do, but didn’t?
- Was there a recurring theme or pattern of something you struggled with?
- Was there a recurring theme or pattern of something that made you happy?
- Did it feel like there was something missing this past year?
Relationships & Social Life
- What did your friend circle look like this year? Are you satisfied with it?
- Describe how your love life or romantic relationship(s) went.
- Are you satisfied with your current relationship (or relationship status?)
- What was the nicest thing you did for someone?
- What was the nicest thing someone did for you?
- Who were the top most influential people in your life?
- Was any person or environment toxic for you?
- Were you happy with how much time you spent with friends and family?
Fun & Hobbies
- What was your best or most FUN memory of the year?
- Did you travel anywhere you enjoyed?
- Did you accomplish anything on your bucket list?
- What was your favorite adventure you had this year?
- What was the most creative thing you did this year?
- What’s something you did this year that you’ll remember for the rest of your life?
- What was the most exciting/happy/special holiday for you?
Goals, Habits, & Productivity
- Which bad habits would you like to let go of?
- Which good habits would you like to perform regularly?
- Did you set personal goals for yourself?
- Do your daily, weekly, or monthly habits align with your goals?
- Do you feel content with the way your life went this year?
- What is the #1 way in which you could improve your life next year compared to this year?
- What was the most important goal or accomplishment you achieved?
- Did you acquire any skills?
- Which season was your most productive?
- Did you create a budget and stick to it?
- What did you waste too much money on?
- Are you satisfied with the way your finances have been going?
- Did you regularly contribute to savings or retirement?
- How good were you at time management?
- Do you think your life is headed in a direction you’re happy with?
- Did you feel like you had good self-discipline?
- What was your #1 priority this year?
- How would you rate this year on a scale of 1-10? Why?
Why Reflecting on Your Year Matters
Do you ever feel like the year just passes you by…without really getting the chance to process it? This is how I was for so long, and it really stunted my personal growth.
But the thing is, you deserve to give yourself that space to explore your thoughts, emotions, and experiences. Without this, there is no self-discovery. No growth. No new realizations that can propel you forward.
It is so important to assess the challenges you navigated this year! See what you can learn from them. Celebrate your wins, and acknowledge all the highs and lows. This is honestly so instrumental in helping you become the best version of yourself!
Which Areas of My Life Should I Reflect On in My Journal Prompts?
Your life is complex to say the least. So, where to begin? What should you cover as you reflect on your end of the year writing prompts? These are the most crucial areas you’ll want to think about:
- Your wellness in different areas (social wellness, emotional wellness, physical wellness, spiritual wellness)
- Career growth
- Education – whether or not you’re a student, how did you educate yourself this year?
- Mental health – your progress and challenges emotionally & mentally
- Discipline, habits, and routines
- Friendships and relationships
- Overall life satisfaction – how do you feel about the place you’re in right now?
Reflecting on these different areas will prime your brain for the ultimate end of the year life audit! I know that for myself, having some end of the year review examples to look at is a huge help.
YOU MIGHT LIKE…
Looking at Your Year in Review
Now let’s get reflecting! Now, I know these were A LOT of year in review journal prompts that cover many areas of your life.
Choose your favorite prompts, crack open your journal, and assess how the past year has treated you!
This activity will give you SO much insight when looking at how you can improve next year. Maybe you did better than you thought! Or maybe you have a long way to go. Either way, you have the “data” to approach the next year in a way that will serve you best.
LET ME KNOW: Which end of the year journal prompts were your favorites?