100 Exciting End of Year Journal Prompts to Reflect on 2022
This post contains affiliate links and I may receive a small commission (at no extra cost to you) if you sign up or purchase products or services mentioned. Read the full disclosure here.
Last Updated on October 11, 2022
And just like that, the year is coming to a close! Wow, right?! With each passing year, you probably expect to see more growth in your personal development. Are you curious to see how you did? These end of year journal prompts will give you the perfect snapshot of your progress!
Reflecting, thinking, and analyzing how we’ve grown this past year helps us see what worked, what didn’t, and where we can continue to improve going into 2023.
That’s why taking the time to respond to these end of year journal prompts is super important!
And a friendly reminder: if things didn’t go as well as you hoped this year, do not let that discourage you. We can’t always be on our A-game, and some years throw more curve balls than others (I mean, did you see 2020?!).
So just accept, learn, move forward gracefully, and you will make the progress you wish to see!
100 personal end of year journal prompts to ask yourself.
- Overall, how did you grow this year?
- Describe what you learned from your hardest challenge of the year.
- What did you learn from your biggest win of the year?
- What was your favorite thing you learned?
- What’s the thing you’re most grateful for?
- What did you waste your time on the most?
- Did you feel spiritually connected to your beliefs? (spiritual journal prompts to help you here!)
- What was your biggest regret?
- Discuss a time you stood up for yourself.
- Did you notice any particular turning points in your personal development? When and what?
- How did you grow emotionally this year?
- How did you grow spiritually this year?
- How did you grow socially this year? (Boundaries, putting yourself out there, etc.)
- Did you read any good motivating personal development books?
- In what ways did your life change the most this year?
- If you could change anything about the past year, what would it be?
- What major life lesson(s) did you learn?
CLICK HERE TO GET YOUR FREE MONTHLY RESET CHECKLIST.
- How much “alone time” did you spend with yourself?
- When was a time where you stepped out of your comfort zone?
- Were there any opportunities you felt you missed out on?
- Have your thoughts, opinions, or interests in anything changed?
- What is something you “warmed up to” that you didn’t think you would?
- What is one thing you could have done (within your control) to make the year better?
- If you could travel back in time to the beginning of the year, what advice would you give yourself?
- What opportunity are you happy you didn’t say “no” to?
- What did you discover that you need?
- Is there anything you can let go of that didn’t serve you?
- What will you remember most about this year?
- What was the thing you were most proud of?
- What’s something outside of your control that you really struggled with?
- What was the hardest thing for you to accept?
- Are you happy with the person you’ve grown into over the last year?
- In what ways did you improve the most from the previous year vs. this year?
- Do you feel like you lived your life to the fullest?
- Did you grow more ambitious this year? (I sure hope you did! 😉)
- What was the #1 most insightful thing you learned about yourself or your personality?
Wellness & Self Care
- How did your overall mental health go?
- Was your mental health more stable this year than last year?
- Did you go to therapy? In what ways did it help you most?
- How was your physical health and wellness?
- On average, how was your sleep? Often have trouble sleeping?
- Which month did you feel the best? Why?
- Which month did you feel the worst? Why?
- Did you improve your self care and coping habits? How?
- How did you practice self care?
- Which changes in your life did you adapt best to?
- Which changes in your life did you adapt the worst to?
- Did you feel like your needs were met?
- In what ways, no matter how small, did you accomplish self love?
- Did you achieve anything in your career?
- Are you satisfied with where your career is headed?
- Did you get a promotion/raise or complete a degree? Any feelings about it?
- How did school/work go for you?
- Do you feel like you’re on the right track with your education/career?
- Did you start or take on a new business, side hustle, or career path?
- What was the biggest high and the biggest low of the year?
- In what ways were you most overwhelmed this year?
- Did you struggle with self doubt? In which areas?
- Which season did you struggle in the most?
- Was social media a source of stress for you this year? Or did you not pay it much attention?
- What was your number one source of stress?
- What was your biggest disappointment?
- Did you engage in any unhealthy thought patterns?
- What did you want to do, but didn’t?
- Was there a recurring theme or pattern of something you struggled with?
- Was there a recurring theme or pattern of something that made you happy?
- Did it feel like there was something missing this past year?
Relationships & Social Life
- What did your friend circle look like this year? Are you satisfied with it?
- Describe how your love life or romantic relationship(s) went.
- Are you satisfied with your current relationship (or relationship status?)
- What was the nicest thing you did for someone?
- What was the nicest thing someone did for you?
- Who were the top most influential people in your life?
- Was any person or environment toxic for you?
- Were you happy with how much time you spent with friends and family?
Fun & Hobbies
- What was your best or most FUN memory of the year?
- Did you travel anywhere you enjoyed?
- Did you accomplish anything on your bucket list?
- What was your favorite adventure you had this year?
- What was the most creative thing you did this year?
- What’s something you did this year that you’ll remember for the rest of your life?
- What was the most exciting/happy/special holiday for you?
Goals & Habits
- Which bad habits would you like to let go of?
- Which good habits would you like to perform regularly?
- Did you set personal goals for yourself?
- Do your daily, weekly, or monthly habits align with your goals?
CLICK HERE TO GET YOUR FREE GOAL PLANNER.
- Do you feel content with the way your life went this year?
- What is the #1 way in which you could improve your life next year compared to this year?
- What was the most important goal or accomplishment you achieved?
- Did you acquire any skills?
- Which season was your most productive?
- Did you create a budget and stick to it?
- What did you waste too much money on?
- Are you satisfied with the way your finances have been going?
- Did you regularly contribute to savings or retirement?
- How good were you at time management?
- Do you think your life is headed in a direction you’re happy with?
- Did you feel like you had good self-discipline?
- What was your #1 priority this year?
- How would you rate this year on a scale of 1-10? Why?
What do you write at the end of the year in a journal?
First off, if you set goals at the beginning of the year, I encourage you to pull those out and see how you did!
Oftentimes, we write goals down only to never look at them again.
If you aren’t following up on how your goals are going (ideally, throughout the year!) then you aren’t checking in on your progress and can easily lose sight of these goals. So if at one point or another this year you wrote down your goals, go whip ’em out now and see which ones you reached!
And if you didn’t write any, don’t feel bad! It’s never too late to start. It’s still very possible to reflect on the year you had in many different ways.
When it comes to the types of questions or areas you should be thinking about while doing your end of year journal prompts, consider how the following went this year:
- Wellness in different areas (social wellness, emotional wellness, physical wellness, spiritual wellness)
- Mental health
- Discipline and habits
- Friendships and relationships
- Satisfaction in life
Thinking in general about these different areas will get you prepped for diving into the specific end of year journal prompts covered in this post!
YOU MIGHT LIKE…
Final Thoughts on End of Year Journal Prompts
Now let’s get reflecting! Those sure were A LOT of ideas to draw from in all different areas of your life this past year.
Choose your favorite end of year journal prompts, crack open your favorite journal, and assess how the past year has treated you!
This activity will give you SO much insight when looking at how you can improve next year. Maybe you did better than you thought! Or maybe you have a long way to go. Either way, you have the “data” to approach the next year in a way that will serve you best.
LET ME KNOW: Which end of year journal prompts were your favorites?
More Journal Prompts and Goals You’ll Love
22 Powerful and Achievable Goals for 2023
New Month Journal Prompts for Goal Setting
This PDF Goal Setting Worksheet Will Help You KILL Your Goals
60 Journal Prompts to Find Your Purpose When Stuck
Nice post 🙂
Love these questions! It is soooo important to reflect and lets be real the end of the year and beginning of the year are the most popular times! I will defs be asking myself a few of these questions 🙂
This is such a great list, I can’t wait to get some of these answered!
I love journaling prompts/questions. Thanks for this list.
Gosh! Some of those questions have made me feel “a little uncomfortable” – because if we’re brutally honest with ourselves – here we are, another year down and ooops (!) accidentally didn’t do The_Thing – AGAIN! 🤭