This post contains affiliate links and I may receive a small commission (at no extra cost to you) if you sign up or purchase products or services mentioned. Read the full disclosure here.
Last Updated on June 25, 2023
Journaling your thoughts or the things you’re struggling with is already immensely helpful for your wellbeing. But let’s dig even deeper.
Let’s talk about using a journal to improve your spiritual growth.
Among the five areas of wellness (social, emotional, spiritual, financial, and physical), spirituality is commonly neglected. These spiritual journal prompts will strengthen your spiritual connection and fulfill your soul.
Spirituality is so wonderful because it means so many different things to so many people. Whether you’re looking to get in touch with God, a specific faith, or just feel uplifted within yourself, these spiritual journal prompts will give you something to reflect on.
Keeping a spiritual journal will help you more deeply connect and explore your belief system. This practice is incredibly fulfilling and worth paying attention to. So let’s dive in and discover what you need spiritually!
Journaling as a way to get back in touch with your spiritual side
After all the little things that demand our attention day in and day out, spirituality can easily take the backburner. But you know what, getting off course is okay!
You’re here right now reading these spiritual journal prompts because you’ve recognized that you’ve fallen off track–whatever that means for you. Maybe you missed church, maybe you’ve fallen out of the habit of praying to God or manifesting or whatever you choose to practice. But now you’re here because you want to make the effort to prioritize your spirituality, and for that I applaud you! 👏
You clearly want to strengthen your spiritual connection or you wouldn’t be here. These spiritual journal prompts are the perfect guiding point for finding the spiritual awakening you’re looking for. As you write in your journal, you’ll get to reflect on where you left off or where you want to go in your faith.
The greatest benefit about journaling for your spirituality is the clarity it provides. You get clearer on your goals, belief systems, and feelings surrounding your spiritual journey. All you’ve gotta do is dive in and see what you discover!
What are the Benefits of Journaling?
Quite honestly, journaling is the ultimate self care tool.
Not only is it a wonderful outlet for expression, but it reduces stress, allows you to get to know yourself better, and promotes self-awareness of your needs.
The benefits of journaling include:
- Helps you prioritize problems, fears, or concerns
- Allows you to work through negative thoughts
- Helps you arrive at new self discoveries
- Assists in emotion regulation
- Discover the deeper parts of yourself and your subconscious
So much can be explored through journaling and this can be applied to your spiritual growth too. Learning more about what you truly believe in and the way in which you feel supported is essential information to uncover.
If you’re ready to take the next step in your spiritual journey and discover what your soul needs, let’s get started with these spiritual journal prompts!
Spiritual Journal Prompts
These spiritual journal prompts will strengthen your connection with your beliefs and help you dig deeper into your spiritual background. You’ll be able to leave your journaling session feeling empowered, grounded, and nurtured!
- What does spirituality mean to you?
- How would you describe the place you’re at with your spirituality?
- Do you consider yourself more “religious,” “spiritual,” or a mix?
- What do you feel is lacking in terms of your spiritual connection right now?
- Are you satisfied with your current spiritual connection? Why or why not?
- Is spirituality a part of your self care routine? In which way?
- What are your thoughts on prayer, meditation, affirmations, and the like?
- How has prayer, meditation, and/or affirmations benefited you?
- Do you feel more guided from within or by a higher power?
- What would being completely in tune with your spirituality look like for you?
- What do you need to seek out most right now?
- Do you have any unanswered questions relating to spirituality? If so, what?
- Do your actions align with your spiritual beliefs?
- How can spirituality help you live a more mindful or healthy life?
- What was your relationship like with spirituality growing up? How has it impacted your view of it today?
Featured Journal: The Mental Health Journal
Wish you had guided journal prompts conveniently bundled just for you to help with stress and anxiety? Check out my printable mental health journal!
It’s jam-packed with 33 pages of writing prompts and mental activities for understanding your emotions, overcoming unhelpful behaviors, and reframing negative thoughts. A must-have for your spiritual journey!
Journal Prompts for Spiritual Growth
- How in tune are you with your intuition?
- How can you work toward listening to your intuition more?
- What is a popular opinion or belief you disagree with? Why?
- Would you say you’re more conventional or unconventional when it comes to spirituality?
- What are ten things, people, or places, you feel deeply connected to?
- Can you honestly say you love yourself? What can you do to practice more self love?
- How can you express more love and kindness toward others?
- Are your habits conducive to self love, self care, and a good spiritual place?
- How can you practice more forgiveness to the inner struggles you face with spirituality?
- Do you feel conflicted or unsure about any part of your beliefs? Discuss.
- Where do you think your judgment for others comes from?
- Do you accept the negative emotions you face? If not, what makes it difficult for you to do so?
- Does nature help you feel more connected spiritually? Why or why not?
- Where can you create more balance in your life?
Still struggling with your spiritual wellness and mental health? Talking to an online therapist can really help you out. I always recommend Online Therapy because it’s a comprehensive, effective online therapy toolkit at an affordable monthly cost. Get 20% off your first month at the link below!
Journal Prompts for Spiritual Awakening
- How can you put yourself more at ease?
- What soothes and calms you the most?
- What are your thoughts and opinions on manifesting?
- What spiritual practices help you feel the most connected?
- What do you believe makes the world a better place?
- Do you think finding yourself spiritually can also bring you closer to finding your purpose?
- What gives your life the most meaning?
- What do you think happens when we die?
- What point in your life did you feel the most connected to your spiritual side?
- Which guiding principles or values have you used in your spiritual life?
- Have you ever tried shadow work (working with your unconscious mind to uncover the parts of yourself that you repress)? What do you think about this concept?
What should I write in my spiritual journal?
If you’d like to incorporate journaling into your spiritual practice, I suggest reflecting on several different areas related to your spirituality. This will help you explore your spiritual beliefs and connectedness across different aspects.
Consider the following when going through the spiritual journal prompts:
- What are your core values? Are you living in alignment with them?
- How do you visualize your ideal self?
- What ultimately guides you in life?
- Are you making time to rest and decompress?
- Are you consistently working through mental health struggles?
- Do you feel supported emotionally?
- Are you your own worst critic?
- What are some ways you can show more compassion toward yourself?
- How can you learn to love yourself and accept your flaws?
- Do you feel like you’ve found your purpose?
- What qualities about yourself are the most influential in what you do?
- How can you strive for both acceptance and improvement?
Final thoughts on Spiritual Journaling
The amazing thing about using these spiritual journal prompts is that they give you spiritual guidance to achieve soul fulfillment. Whether you’re seeking alignment, balance, or faith, you will surely find it as you reflect on these prompts.
Most importantly: remember that your spiritual journey is for YOU and no one else. Whatever aspect of spirituality resonates with you the most, that is what you should follow. There are no expectations here.
Whether you feel most guided by God or a higher power, yourself, or something else–just run with it and explore it in a way that makes you feel connected. Your spiritual journal should be a safe space where you can explore your truest self.
Best of luck on your spiritual journey!
Psst…struggle to make time for self care? Grab my (free!) daily self care check in sheet below to make it easier! This will help you sprinkle some quick self care journaling into your morning and night routines.