This post contains affiliate links and I may receive a small commission (at no extra cost to you) if you sign up or purchase products or services mentioned. Read the full disclosure here.
Last Updated on October 27, 2023
Halloween and self care go together better than you think! Part of a good self care routine is balance–which means making time for fun and rest.
And unfortunately, since Halloween isn’t a holiday that you get the day off work for, it can be all too easy to stay in the work zone and not enjoy Halloween night.
Letting go and having fun on Halloween for the sake of your mental health is the right approach! You deserve the time to enjoy yourself on any holiday.
These Halloween self care ideas will help you enjoy yourself and take a break from the typical stressors in your life.
Here’s to a spooky season of self care!
85 Feel-Good Halloween Self Care Ideas
Why not partake in some fun yet soothing Halloween activities for adults?! This holiday ain’t just for the kids! These Halloween self care ideas are just what you’re looking for. Think of it as your chance for a little Halloween date with yourself!
You don’t wanna lose these Halloween self care ideas! Pin ’em!
Sensory Self Care
- Light some fall candles and soak up the scent
- Sit by a warm fire or fireplace
- Jump in a pile of crunchy leaves
- Take a bubble bath with a Halloween-themed bath bomb
- Listen to a Halloween playlist
- Enjoy hot chocolate, tea, or pumpkin drinks and mindfully focus on the warmth
- Indulge in the comfort of bundling yourself up in your coziest blanket
- Color in a Halloween themed coloring book
Emotional Self Care
- Write a journal entry reflecting on good Halloween memories of the past
- Eat all the candy you want AND enjoy it
- Do something you’ve been afraid to do
- Write a letter to yourself to release your emotions
- Practice positive affirmations for self love and confidence (grab my printable affirmation cards to make it even easier! Use them as journal prompts, stick ‘em on your mirror for an everyday reminder, or get creative and turn them into a vision board or collage)
- Bring on the nostalgia by watching old Halloween shows or movies from childhood
Mental Self Care
- Just take a break
- Paint pumpkins with quotes and inspirational phrases
- Unplug from social media and enjoy your surroundings
- Create a realistic self care routine for yourself (like…one you’ll actually stick to! I made The Busy Woman’s Self Care Journal to walk you A-Z through identifying your unique self care needs to create your personalized self care plan!) Grab it below!
Life too hectic for self care? Not with The Busy Woman’s Self Care Journal!
Made by a busy woman, for busy women, the goal of this journal is simple: to make an effective self care plan that works for your unique needs. No matter how crazy life gets!
Get step-by-step guidance to create your personalized self care plan by…
- Slow down and savor the little moments
- Invest in a light therapy lamp for SAD/seasonal affective disorder (here is VeryWellMind’s best rated AND tested light therapy lamp from Amazon)
- Create a new morning routine for the fall/winter
Physical Self Care
- Dance around your house to Halloween songs
- Find Halloween-inspired workout videos on YouTube
- Make or buy a Halloween costume
- Bake yummy Halloween or fall themed treats
- Get yourself a pumpkin spice latte
- Try a soothing fall tea
- Make caramel apples
- Start a backyard campfire and make s’mores
Environmental Self Care
- Decorate your house for Halloween
- Explore and admire all the Halloween decor in your neighborhood
- Go out to a Halloween theme park attraction
- Help your community by volunteering at a local Halloween event
- Attend a fall festival
- Knock your chores out of the way early so you can fully enjoy Halloween night
- Create an aesthetic fall vision board to hang up on your wall
Spiritual Self Care
- Spend time in prayer or anything else that resonates with you
- Go on a soothing, slow nature walk as you admire the fall foliage
- Identify and/or reflect on your core values
- Write about the things you’re grateful for this Halloween (my printable gratitude journal is PERFECT for starting a regular gratitude habit!)
- Do a guided meditation (I love Headspace–they have so many meditations that really help me! Highly recommend! You can get 14 days free right here.)
- Practice mindfulness (being grounded in the present moment, acceptance, not passing judgments on yourself)
- Do yoga or stretching along to a Halloween playlist
Recreational Self Care
- Go trick or treating (or pass out candy!)
- Find fun Halloween events near you
- Get back into a creative skill or hobby
- Try Halloween inspired crafts
- Find a new fall makeup look
- Visit a haunted house
Social Self Care
- Go to a Halloween party
- Have a spooky night-in with friends with candy and scary movies
- Carve pumpkins with friends/family
- Call up a friend you haven’t talked to in a while
- Connect with your friends by sharing Halloween plans with each other
- Have a fall photoshoot
- Host a Halloween themed dinner
- Go to the movies with friends and family and watch the scariest movie they have playing
Financial Self Care
- Start a Christmas budget (those holidays are just around the corner and they are expensive!)
- Set financial goals for next year
- Go through your bills and spending habits for the month
- Make one monthly financial goal for November
- Plan out exactly which things you want to save for
- Assess how much money to put aside into savings each month
Intellectual Self Care
- Read a spooky book
- Do a Halloween themed puzzle (jigsaw, crossword, whatever you prefer!)
- Try carving an advanced design into a pumpkin
- Watch a true crime documentary
- Watch YouTube videos about the history of Halloween
- Learn how to create DIY Halloween decorations
- Learn how to knit or crochet fall scarves or sweaters
How can I celebrate Halloween on my own?
Fun Halloween Activities at Home
- Play scary horror-themed video games or board games
- Munch on fun Halloween snacks
- Write and record your own ghost stories, adding fun sound effects
- Create some haunted art inspired by Halloween themes
- Have a solo candlelit dance party
- Come up with a clever way to pass out Halloween candy (maybe an elaborate set-up that wows your neighborhood?)
- Create a Halloween DIY escape room inside your house (filled with Halloween puzzles and riddles to solve!)
- Start a Halloween time capsule with pictures, notes, and other items to remember each Halloween
- Conduct a spooky science experiment at home (slime or potions are perfect!)
- Write dark poetry
- Take an online virtual museum tour of haunted artifacts from around the world
- Learn a dance routine inspired by your favorite Halloween movie
- Do a tarot card reading
- Watch documentaries about paranormal investigations
- Decorate eco-friendly items like gourds or something reusable instead of pumpkins
Why Is Self Care on Halloween Important?
Halloween is a comfort holiday. It’s a good little escape from your day-to-day business. Doing the things you love, like watching horror movies, eating candy, decorating, and dressing up makes you feel good.
And we all need a little fun every once in a while to enjoy life and improve our mental health! This is why it’s worthwhile to try different wellness ideas for Halloween.
Giving yourself breaks and enjoying fun holidays is a part of a balanced and healthy lifestyle. Working 24/7 or skipping out on the fun isn’t good for your wellbeing, so make sure you prioritize self care this Halloween by going easy on yourself!
If you think of Halloween like a healthy, happy break from everything you have going on, you’ll feel good about enjoying these Halloween self care ideas.
Now go give yourself some spooky self-love!