Last Updated on November 16, 2023
Do you ever feel like you’re…
- Not really aware of your feelings?
- Not sure you’re on the right track?
- Living life on autopilot?
- Like each month blends into the next until it becomes one big blur of basically the same stuff?
Well, this is what happens when we forget to take a breather and truly reflect on what we’re doing. And it’s all too easy to fall into this habit.
This is exactly why you should be doing monthly reflection questions every month! By taking a step back and evaluating how things are going, you can actually find your pain points and become self-aware of how you’re really feeling.
Things You Should Reflect on Every Month
So, what exactly happens in a monthly reflection? It’s your chance to check in with yourself each month on things like…
- Goals – Did you meet your monthly goals? If not, what got in the way?
- Wins – What worked out in your life this month? Take note of any and every win, no matter how small! They’re all worthy of your celebration.
- Setbacks – What didn’t work out? Did you hit any unexpected roadblocks?
- Emotions and Well-being – Was this month emotionally challenging? What internal and external factors influenced the way you felt?
- Each Area of Your Life – You’re a multi-faceted person. There’s a lot that can affect your stress levels. Think about what’s happening at work, at home, in your relationships, socially, mentally, and financially.
Goals and wins are probably the first things you think of when it comes to a monthly reflection. But your reflection should be so much more than that! Checking in with your mental and emotional well-being is also an absolute must.
I mean, how else will you measure whether you’ve got it under control or if you’re a hot mess express?! 😂 I kid.
But seriously, leaving your emotions unchecked can lead to avoidance. Think about how difficult it gets to manage your feelings when you give yourself no chance to practice addressing them!
After I started doing monthly reflections, I got a way better picture of how I was really doing. 30 minutes out of my whole month in exchange for clarity on my emotions, struggles, and needs? That’s a no-brainer to me! So worth it.
40 Monthly Reflection Questions to Journal About
Are you ready to take a deep look at your month? These are the reflection questions you’ll wanna ask yourself every month! These will help you get ten times clearer on your goals, self care and emotions, the tea in your personal life, and juggling work!
Don’t lose these monthly reflection questions! Pin ‘em to come back later.
Goals and Intentions
- What did you do this month that aligns with your true passions?
- After what event did you feel most accomplished this month?
- Did you have a good understanding of your intentions? If not, how can you make them clearer?
- How did your intentions shape your actions this month? Does that behavior align with your long-term goals?
- What was something you were scared to do or was difficult to face up to, but you did it anyway?
- Did you discover any new interests or insights?
- What was your number one priority this month? Did it feel all-consuming, or did you take a balanced approach?
- Describe your proudest monthly win (no matter how small!) and celebrate yourself for accomplishing it.
- What was a stressful or disappointing setback you faced? Is there anything you can do to recover? If not, how will you work toward acceptance?
- When you felt your most productive, what factors contributed to your productive workflow?
Self Care and Well-being
- Which habits supported your well-being this month? Which habits did not?
- What drained your energy? What gave you energy?
- What has your body or mind been telling you, or nudging you toward?
- During which moments did you feel close to burnout? What self-care habits can you do the next time you feel this way?
- When did you feel most overwhelmed? How did you navigate it?
- On a scale of 1 to 10, how well did you check in with your emotions?
- Did you notice any patterns of avoidance of not giving yourself time to feel your feelings?
- What were you doing when you felt your happiest? How can you incorporate more of these moments into your life?
- Think back to a moment where you were hard on yourself. What would you say or do differently next time, to practice self-compassion?
- How well did you practice mindfulness and feeling truly “present” in the moment? If you struggled, what prevented you? (these grounding journal prompts can help you out!)
Map out the self care routine that finally works for your busy life!
Life too hectic for self care? Not with The Busy Woman’s Self Care Journal!
Made by a busy woman, for busy women, the goal of this journal is simple: to make an effective self care plan that works for your unique needs. No matter how crazy life gets!
Get step-by-step guidance to create your personalized self care plan by…
- How did your living space contribute to your overall well-being this month? Were you on top of cleaning, or did you let things go? Describe the impact. (Look at my favorite environmental self care ideas to help!!)
- Which relationships added value to your life? Which relationships brought you stress?
- Did you feel connected to your social circle this month? Why or why not, and how does this make you feel?
- Did you run into any unexpected expenses or financial strains? How did you handle them?
- Reflect on your screen time habits. How do you feel overall about the amount of time you spent on devices? How did it feel when you spent time unplugged?
- Did you experience any positive or negative family experiences? Take a journal entry to express gratitude or vent, depending on your feelings.
- Describe a moment where you had some much-needed me time. What benefits did taking time for yourself give you?
- Did you go on any adventures, whether big or small? How did they contribute to your sense of fulfillment?
- What changed for the better in your life this month? What changed for the worse?
- Describe one way you’ve made a positive impact on someone this month.
- How did you juggle your work/life balance? Is there anything you can do differently?
- Are there any boundaries you think you should enforce when it comes to work?
- On a scale from “I hate it here” to “living the dream,” how do you really feel about your job?
- Did you figure anything out or have an “aha!” moment at work this month?
- How are your time management skills? Are there any time-wasters you need to address?
- How well are you able to “shut off” and “leave work at work” after your work day? If you struggle, why?
- What gave you a boost of confidence or helped you feel good at work?
- What caused the most stress at work? How did you handle it? Any lessons learned?
- How do you honestly feel about the general vibe and culture of your workplace?
- Are you happy overall with where you’re at in your professional life? If not, what do you truly want to do and how can you get there?
Final Thoughts About Your End of the Month Reflection
To wrap up these monthly reflection questions, my best advice is to treat this not like a performance review, but as YOUR personal narrative. No one is in trouble here! If this wasn’t your best month, there’s no need to discourage yourself.
Take these journal prompts with an approach of acceptance. Celebrate the highs, acknowledge the lows, and give yourself the same support and encouragement you’d give to your bestie!
Weave this reflection practice into your monthly routine for a while. See if it makes a difference in your self-awareness, clarity, and direction for the following month.
More than likely, you’ll love how in tune you feel with your goals, emotions, and the (sometimes crazy!) things you’ve got going on in your life.
What do you want to learn about yourself after this monthly reflection? Let me know in the comments below!