What to Write When Bored: 80 Super Interesting Ideas
Last Updated on November 13, 2022
Ah, the age old question of anyone who writes: what do I write about?! When boredom strikes, it’s like where do you even start?! In case you need a little inspiration for what to write when bored, this list has you covered.
Writing is a great way to keep yourself busy when you want to chase boredom away. So grab your best journal, your favorite pen, and let’s get your brain going!
80 Things to Write When Bored Journal Prompts
Looking for a boredom cure through writing? You’re in the right place! Here are 80 ideas for what to write when bored, what to write for fun, deep things to write about, for when you’re bored at home, and just random things to write when boredom strikes!
What things should you write about when you’re bored?
First and foremost, what are some of the most common ideas for what to write when bored? Here are some great starting points.
- Think about the last dream you had. What happened in it and do you think it meant anything significant?
- Think of the best memory you’ve had in the last year. Describe it in detail.
- Write about your dream vacation. Where to, who would you go with, and what would you do?
- If you could write a book about any topic or story under the sun, what would it be?
- If you could do high school or college over again, what would you do differently?
- Write about your dream home. Where would it be located? What would it look like on the inside and outside?
- If you could have as many pets as you want, how many would you have and what would they be?
- If you had an idea for a business, what business would you create?
- What is a topic you’ve been wanting to learn more about but just haven’t gotten around to? What exactly do you wish to learn?
- What is the best friendship you’ve ever had and what made it so awesome?
- What is the worst friendship you’ve ever had and what made it so terrible?
- Best date you’ve ever been on?
- Worst date you’ve ever been on?
- Did you ever have a really annoying teacher? Reflect back on the things they did.
- Best job interview you’ve ever been to?
- Worst job interview you’ve ever been to?
RELATED: 70 Easy and Fun Journal Prompts for Beginners
What should I write for fun?
- What was the last movie you saw? What did you like about it and what did you think was done poorly?
- What was the last concert you went to? How did you feel when you were there?
- What was the last book you read? What did you take away from it?
- What is your favorite restaurant and what are some of the memories you’ve had there?
- What was the most fun you’ve had recently? Describe what happened in detail.
- What would your ideal weekend look like?
- If you didn’t have to follow any rules or abide by the law, what’s the first thing you would do?
- What is the craziest thing you’ve ever done? Was it worth it to do?
- When was the last time you laughed so hard you cried? Do you remember what it was about?
- What was the dumbest thing you ever did when you were younger?
- What is your favorite winter activity?
- What is your favorite summer activity?
- If you could move anywhere in the world, where would you move to and why?
- What are some things you really like about yourself/your personality?
- What do you appreciate about your friends?
- What do you appreciate about your family?
What are some deep things to write about?
- Describe a time where you achieved something you didn’t think was possible.
- What do you wish you could say to someone who wronged you or made you mad? Write as big of a paragraph as you need!
- Think about a time where you felt really embarrassed. What happened and what was your reaction?
- What is the biggest mental health struggle you’ve ever overcome (or might still be working on)?
- Reflect on anything negative that impacted you during your childhood. Does it still affect you today?
RELATED: 50 Influential Journal Prompts to Heal Your Inner Child
- What was your worst heartbreak? How did it happen?
- Remember a time where you felt brave or faced a big fear. How did you feel? Was it worth it?
- Have you ever had a toxic boss or work environment? How was it toxic and what did you do?
- What is your deepest fear in life?
- What is your biggest accomplishment in life?
- What about the stage of life you’re in right now makes you the most stressed?
- What is the kindest/most generous thing someone has ever done for you?
- What is the kindest/most generous thing you’ve ever done for someone else?
- Think of a time you were faced with a difficult decision. What made it so difficult and what did you end up choosing?
- What does your inner critic keep telling you?
- Do you experience self doubt in any area of your life?
RELATED: 12 Couple Journal Ideas for Relationship Fun
Things to write when bored at home
- Can you remember your earliest childhood memory? Write down what you know.
- What is your favorite room in your house and why?
- What is one household habit you’d like to improve on?
- If you had a lazy day, what would you love to do?
- Is there a chore you dread doing? What could you do to make it easier?
- Write a list of 10 things that make you smile the most.
- If you created a playlist of your favorite songs, which genres would be on there?
- Do you think “money doesn’t buy happiness” is true or untrue? Why?
- Write about a time where you were disappointed in something or someone.
- Write about a hobby or interest you’re passionate about.
- Write about a time where you had to figure something out all on your own. How did you feel and how did it go?
- Think of a time where you made a big mistake. What did you learn from it?
- Imagine you had an unlimited budget to decorate or renovate your home in any way you choose. What things would you buy or get done?
- What was your favorite place you’ve lived? Least favorite?
- Write about something that recently made you feel frustrated.
- Rewrite the ending to your favorite book.
RELATED: Hobbies for Women in Their 20s: 100 Fun & Interesting Ideas
Random things to write when bored
- Write about your first kiss. Was it awkward? Awesome?
- Create a story out of a really cool dream you had.
- Which era from the past would you most want to live in and why?
- Which fashion trend do you think is the most ridiculous and why?
- What do you think is weird about how kids act today compared to when you were a kid?
- If you had a million dollars, how would you spend it?
- What do you think your life will be like 10 years from now?
- How would you describe your life to a pen pal who lives in a different country?
- What are some of your favorite ways to procrastinate?
- What is your all-time favorite self care activity? (unusual self care ideas you probably haven’t tried here!)
- If you played video games as a child, which was your favorite one?
- What makes you feel super excited every time you talk about it?
- If you spent a day without any technology, what would you do?
- If you could go camping anywhere in the world, where would you like to camp?
- What is something you wish you could invent?
- What is the best life advice you could give to someone in their 20s?
RELATED: 101 Self Reflection Questions You Need to Be Asking Yourself
There you have it, 80 interesting ideas for what to write when bored! These ideas should give you some guidance so you aren’t staring at a blank notebook having no clue what to write about. We’ve all been there! Have fun!
More Writing Ideas You’ll Love
70 Easy and Fun Journal Prompts for Beginners
50+ Journal Prompts to Get to Know Yourself
60 Journal Prompts to Find Your Purpose When Stuck
101 Self Reflection Questions You Need to Be Asking Yourself