Last Updated on May 16, 2023
Letting go is way easier said than done! We could all stand to let go of something that’s holding us back from where we want to be. Whether it’s letting go of the past, fear, expectations, negative thoughts, or someone, we’re better off without these burdens.
But how exactly do you let go of the tough things? Well, a good first step is to reframe your mindset through positive self talk. These positive affirmations for letting go will help you begin to free yourself from anything blocking you in your life.
And once you finally learn to let go, you can move forward. Try speaking a few of these affirmations for letting go everyday and you’ll gain a sense of empowerment in no time!
This post is all about affirmations for letting go
How to Get the Most Out of Affirmations
Affirmations are positive statements that reinforce our beliefs. They empower us, improve our self-talk, and even encourage feelings of self worth. If your mind feels heavy and you need to release unhelpful expectations, these affirmations for letting go are the best place to start.
Here’s what you can do with these affirmations for letting go to make them more effective:
- You only need to chose a few stand-out affirmations from this list that you connect with the most
- Write them down in a journal, speak them out loud, or print the affirmations as cards so that they stick with you
- Rewrite them or speak them every day
- Focus on the actual feeling of letting go and releasing the negativity as you use the affirmations
- Feel the empowerment and weight that’s been lifted off your shoulders
These simple and straight forward tips will help you get the most out of these affirmations for letting go!
Why Affirmations Are Important for Letting Go of the Past and Releasing Expectations
We can probably all relate to experiencing pain of the past in some way. Whether it’s grief of no longer having something or someone, or having been through trauma, we all have something we should release.
Past experiences can also paint our expectations for the present and future and can lead us to put too much pressure on ourselves. This is why it’s healthy to process and let go of the negative thoughts and experiences we’ve endured.
These affirmations for letting go will help you accept what you cannot change and adjust your expectations accordingly. Affirmations are an act of self love that can guide you in showing yourself a little more compassion regardless of the past.
When you speak empowering words to yourself, you encourage positive self talk. Self talk shapes our perception of ourselves, so it’s crucial that your self talk comes from a place of encouragement. The affirmations for letting go in this post are a great first step in improving your inner dialogue!
Here are 114 affirmations for letting go of everything!
Affirmations For Letting Go Of The Past
Ruminating on the past is a common challenge. Dwelling on the hardships we’ve been through is such an easy trap to fall into, but these affirmations for letting go of the past will make it a little easier to move forward.
- The past does not define me.
- I’m not in control of the past, but I am in control of the now.
- I am open to growth and change.
- I am always evolving.
- I am embracing this new chapter of my life.
- I don’t need to waste my time stressing about the past.
- I am not looking back. I am only looking forward.
- Change is something I welcome with open arms.
- The past has no power over me.
- I get to choose my present and future.
- I feel empowered in my choice to move on from the past.
- I am free from my past trials and tribulations.
- My future is bright and I am so ready for it.
- I am so very hopeful for the good that is to come.
- I forgive myself and everything I’ve been through.
- My experiences have shaped me in ways that were necessary for my growth.
- I won’t be held back by my past.
- Each new day brings me new opportunities.
- I am releasing any guilt.
- I am strong enough to overcome past traumas.
- Letting go of the past is just a natural part of life.
- Each time I let go of something in the past, I make room for the good.
- Resentment has no place in how I view myself.
- Resentment has no place in how I view others.
- I am making peace with the past.
Affirmations for Releasing Expectations
Are you holding onto unrealistic expectations, whether from yourself or from others? These affirmations for letting go of expectations will guide you toward self-acceptance and allow you to embrace yourself no matter where you’re at.
- I release all fears of not being perfect.
- I am enough.
- I am letting go of all expectations.
- Comparison is the thief of joy, and I want to protect my joy!
- The only person I need to compare myself to is the person I was yesterday. Not anyone else.
- I am exactly where I need to be right now.
- I am taking everything at my own pace.
- I accept that others may not be on the same path as me. This is okay.
- I am appreciating the beauty of things for what they are.
- I am improving more and more each day.
- I accept myself just as I am unconditionally.
- My spirit is free.
- I don’t need external validation to recognize that I am wonderful.
- I am not mastered by anything.
- Mistakes will be made and they do not define me.
- I bring so much value just the way I am.
- My happiness and contentment in life is more important than expectations.
- I don’t need to meet anyone else’s expectations.
- My success isn’t based on how much I fit the mold.
- I choose to thrive and enjoy my life.
- Nobody has to understand me.
- I am unique!
- I let go of the need to care what others think about me.
- I am deserving of love and kindness.
- I don’t accept negative treatment from others, so I won’t accept negative treatment from myself.
- I don’t need to be perfect, I just need to be me.
- I don’t need to justify my choices.
- I am good at what I do and my abilities are meaningful.
- There is no one I need to impress.
- I don’t need other people to agree with me.
- Taking care of myself isn’t selfish, it’s necessary.
Like positive affirmations? Get them as cards!
A physical reminder of positive vibes is even more effective for improving your mindset! Grab this deck of 40 printable affirmation cards and bring these affirmations to life. Use them as journal prompts, stick ‘em on your mirror for an everyday reminder, or get creative and turn them into a vision board or collage on your wall!
Affirmations For Letting Go Of Fear
If we let the fear of failure hinder us, we’ll never be able to create the life we truly want to live. Don’t let fear get in your way anymore! Let these affirmations for letting go of fear empower you to chase your goals anyway.
- You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take, so trying gives me a chance at success.
- I can always get back up and try again.
- If something doesn’t work out, that’s not a failure. It’s knowledge for next time.
- No one is holding me back except myself. And I give myself permission to go for it.
- I am worry free.
- I am calm and capable.
- I can do hard things.
- I accept that fear and anxiety happens and I do not judge myself for having these emotions.
- I am not afraid of the new and unfamiliar.
- I trust the universe/God/whatever I believe in.
- I trust that my hard work and dedication will pay off.
- There are so many things I am able to overcome.
- My confidence and strength are stronger than my fear.
- I can get past anything.
- We are all vulnerable at times and that is okay.
- I choose freedom from fear.
- Fear will not control my decisions.
- Fear doesn’t change the future, so I am releasing that anxiety.
- I welcome abundant possibilities into my life.
- I trust myself and my intuition.
Affirmations For Letting Go Of Someone
Unfortunately, there are times where people are meant to be in our life for a season, rather than forever. This is a hard pill to swallow, but these affirmations for letting go of someone will help you prioritize yourself and focus on your future.
- My growth is valuable and it is in my hands, not someone else’s.
- I clear myself of ties to the past to make way for new relationships.
- Everything will fall together when it is meant to.
- With each painful experience comes a significant lesson for me.
- I let go of the need to control others. All I need control over is myself.
- I am ready to move on.
- Letting go of someone is a natural part of life.
- I am capable of healing.
- I am unchained.
- I am good enough and deserve only the very best.
- People who are meant to be in my life will stay in it.
- There are so many people, experiences, and memories out there for me.
- It’s completely okay for me to walk away.
- I can let go of people that no longer serve me.
- Bad memories have no control over me.
- It’s not my responsibility to fix or save others.
Affirmations To Let Go Of Negative Thoughts
Negative thoughts always creep up on us at the worst time. Stop those negative thoughts in their tracks and learn to reframe them with these empowering affirmations!
- I replace all my negative thoughts with positive ones.
- Negativity has no place in my life.
- It’s okay for me to have negative emotions, but I will not be run by them.
- I am leaving behind old unhelpful habits and welcoming new helpful habits.
- I give myself permission to let go of pain.
- There are some things I simply cannot control and that is okay.
- With each inhale I bring in comfort and peace, and with each exhale I release stress and anxiety.
- I will go with the flow and trust the process.
- Negative thoughts and experiences are only temporary.
- There is more good in the world than I realize.
- Good things happen to me.
- Bad things come and go.
- I have the power to rise above negativity.
- I am releasing the need to always be in control.
- I have everything I need within me to achieve anything I want.
- I will keep an open mind.
- I don’t always need to be right.
- I am doing just fine.
- Life is good and I feel content.
- I deserve to treat myself with kindness.
- I can say no to optional situations that cause me stress.
- I listen to what I need in times of stress.
Why Is Letting Go So Hard?
As humans, we are creatures of habit. Change doesn’t usually sit well with us. Change can be painful. We naturally want to opt for the path of least resistance, which makes letting go extra hard.
If you’ve been used to a certain set of expectations or way of thinking, it feels scary and unfamiliar when you try to branch away from that.
But reframing negative thoughts into positive ones really pays off to improve your overall mental health. It takes practice, but the more you work on reframing negative thoughts the easier it’ll come. Using these positive affirmations for letting go will help to get you in the swing of this.
How to Use Affirmations for Letting Go of the Past and Releasing Expectations
Affirmations are all about repetition. The more you speak something, the more you believe it. This is yet again why positive self talk is absolutely essential to improving your overall frame of mind.
When you believe you can do something, it doesn’t take long for your actions to follow. “Fake it til ya make it” is actually pretty spot-on with improving your confidence! It becomes easier to let go once you get to the point of truly believing that it is within your capability.
So as you use these affirmations for letting go, let truly believing them be the goal. You can start off by choosing 3 positive affirmations from this list to speak each morning. Then another 3 to speak each night. You can even close your eyes if it helps to focus and be present with the affirmations.
If you keep up the habit and repetition of using these affirmations for letting go, you should start to see an improvement in your opinion of yourself and what you’re capable of when it comes to releasing any negative expectations!
Final Thoughts on Affirmations for Letting Go
As you use these affirmations for letting go, the best piece of advice is to remember accept yourself unconditionally. It becomes much easier to heal and let go when we accept ourselves for where we’re at, regardless of what happened in the past.
The same goes for releasing expectations. Following strict expectations for yourself will do more harm than good. You are exactly where you need to be right now, and you are doing just fine! We are all at different points in our journey in life, and you will navigate everything in the end.
Let me know in the comments which of these affirmations for letting go resonated the most with you!
Psst…make sure you’re making time for self care! My (free!) daily self care check in sheet gives you the chance to see how you’re feeling each morning and night. Grab it below!
This post is all about affirmations for letting go
IF YOU LIKE THIS POST, YOU’LL LOVE THESE TOO