Last Updated on September 18, 2023
Wait a minute, it’s October already?! Can you believe we’re almost at the end of the year?! We’ve gone from iced lattes to cozy sweaters in the blink of an eye!
That being said, who doesn’t want to embrace the cozy yet enchanting vibes this month has to offer? Maybe it’s the spooky season energy, but I’m here for it. Fall is in full swing and with any season change, it’s the perfect opportunity for some good ole self-reflection.
Which is exactly why we’re diving into some October journal prompts! Specifically for adults! A quick Google search yields tons of October writing prompts for kids and young students, but I think we adults need some journaling ideas for a good monthly self-check in.
With seasonal transitions and upcoming holidays on the horizon, now’s a good time to check in with your intentions, goals, thoughts, and feelings. You’d be surprised at how much can change both internally and externally over the course of 10 months from January to now!
Get your favorite fall drink ready, because we’re journaling through October with joy!
October Journal Prompts: 58 Daily Writing Ideas For Adults
Whether your intention this October is to get clear on your monthly goals, practice more gratitude for all the awesome things in your life, or prioritize your self care and mental wellness, these October journal prompts cover it all!
Don’t forget about these October journal prompts! Pin ’em to come back later!
What Are Some Fun October Journal Prompts?
- Do you have a go-to Halloween costume when you’re stumped for ideas?
- Reflect on a fun October adventure or a positive October memory from the past.
- Reflect on your most memorable Halloween night out with friends.
- What would the perfect October day look like to you, from start to finish?
- If you could invent a new fall-themed cocktail, what would be in it and what would you name it?
- Do you like or dislike horror movies? What makes you feel one way or the other?
- If you can catch a warm October day, what would your ideal fall picnic include?
- Do you have a cherished fall memory from childhood that has influenced your joy for the season?
- Do you have a cozy fall tradition, like sipping cider or visiting a pumpkin patch? What about it makes you happy?
- How have your thoughts and feelings toward fall changed since you were a child or teenager?
- What is your all-time favorite fall recipe to cook or bake?
- What is your favorite fall outfit and why do you love wearing it?
- What books or movies are on your must-read/watch list every fall?
- What songs bring back amazing memories of fall?
- If you haven’t made many fall plans yet, take a moment to jot down and schedule your favorite fall activities! (these fun fall self care ideas are PERFECT to include in your plans!)
October Writing Prompts for Monthly Goals
- Think about personal growth as it relates to the changing seasons. In what ways does fall inspire you to continue on your personal growth journey?
- What are your top three goals this month?
- What are all of your personal and professional goals for October?
- What habits will you implement to achieve those goals?
- What motivates you to pursue your goals? (think about your “why?”)
- How might your fall intentions and goals differ from your summer ones?
- What are some of the best ways for you to measure your progress with goals?
- Write a letter to your future self, a year from today in the next fall. What are some aspirations, hopes, and goals you wish to achieve by then?
- What changes would you like to start seeing in each area of your life?
- Write a “script” or manifestation of how your dream life looks like, as if you were currently experiencing it. (this guide has everything you need to manifest your goals through writing!)
- What are some potential obstacles that could prevent you from staying on track this month?
- What actions can you take to address these obstacles if/when they arise?
- How can you make your goals more “visible” on a daily basis, so you don’t forget them? (i.e: sticky notes, including your goals on your desktop wallpaper, etc.)
- What rewards will you give yourself to celebrate achieving your goals?
- Write down 3 affirmations to repeat daily that will boost your confidence about your goals. (see these super motivating productivity affirmations for examples you can use!)
Set Goals The Right Way and Make October Your Month
Tired of setting goals but never seem to follow through? Unsure how to set goals that work in the first place?
My Printable Goal Planner alleviates all of that by helping you brainstorm, set, plan, AND effectively achieve the right goals for your life! Perfect for prepping for the new month!
October Journal Prompts For Gratitude
- What are some simple pleasures in fall that give you feelings of gratitude?
- What do you look forward to the most every fall?
- What gives you the deepest sense of gratitude in your life right now?
- What is something that worked out in your favor lately?
- What is something that recently went well for you, even though you didn’t think it would?
- What sensory aspects (sights, sounds, smells) of fall bring you the most joy and comfort?
- What are 3 things you’re grateful for off the top of your head?
- Reflect on the people in your life that you’re grateful for. What makes them so great?
- List all the things you’re grateful for relating to your physical and mental health.
- What is a challenge you’ve been through that ultimately made you grateful for the lesson you learned?
- What recent accomplishments are you grateful for achieving?
- Reflect on a time where someone’s kindness impacted your life. What happened and how did you feel?
- What about your home or neighborhood makes you grateful?
- What opportunities do you feel lucky to get to have?
- What personal strengths and qualities are you grateful for?
- Do you have a community or support system that gives you a sense of belonging? Reflect on this.
October Writing Prompts For Mental Wellness
- Imagine this: a peaceful fall day spent in self-care mode. What activities would you choose to help you unwind?
- Fall can be a great time to slow down and savor the moment. How will you add more mindfulness into your daily routine this month?
- Plan at least one “slow day” this October, where you take it easy and fuel yourself in the ways you need it. What activities would you do to relax and recharge?
- What is one small act of self care you can start doing on a daily basis this month?
- How do you plan to balance being healthy and active this fall, while also enjoying fun fall indulgences?
- What can you do to your home environment to make it more cozy and comforting? (try these ideas for transforming your environment into a self-care haven!)
- What is something creative you enjoy doing? How can you make time for it this month?
- How can you make a plan to reduce your screen time this month?
- What are some of your favorite nature spots to enjoy in the fall? How does nature impact your mental health?
- What is the next personal development book you’d like to read and why?
- What could you use less of in your life right now?
- What could you use more of in your life right now?
How To Use These October Journal Prompts
Monthly journaling can really spice up your journaling practice without having to do anything too crazy! Follow these tips to make the most of your October writing prompts.
- Romanticize the journaling experience – I’m talking sitting in a cozy corner, bundled up in your softest blanket, drinking a delicious pumpkin spice latte (or your drink of choice!), lighting yummy fall candles, and getting allll comfy with your journal. This just makes the experience so much more impactful!
- Choose the journal prompts you need most right now – this is a pretty big list of October journal prompts–no need to do ‘em all! Choose the ones that will give you the reflection you need right now.
- Don’t overthink, just let it flow – these journal prompts don’t need to stress you out or overwhelm you! Literally, just let your pen flow and let it take you wherever your brain goes. Maybe you have some interesting fall memories pop up or some deep thoughts as you look back on the year!
- Don’t stop here, make it a habit! – I love that you’re here and feeling fired up about October journaling! It’s a great first step, but you’re going to see a real difference in your mindset and even your anxiety levels when you journal consistently.
Download Your Free October Journal Prompt Calendar!
Instead of reading these October journal prompts once and forgetting about them for the rest of the month, make them a habit! This calendar is super helpful for developing a quick, easy, and realistic journaling routine. Grab it below, it’s free to use and print!